Cawthron Institute was officially opened in Nelson in 1921 following the establishment of the Cawthron Institute Trust Board.
From past to present
Since the beginning we have firmly focused on research that contributes to the economic growth of New Zealand and the preservation of its special environment.
From the 1920s onwards, our scientists applied their expertise to agricultural research to support the pipfruit and hop growing industries. Then, as timber exports took off, they progressed to forestry research.
Today our science is strongly focused on protecting marine and freshwater environments, and supporting sustainable development of the dairy, seafood and aquaculture sectors.
This pragmatic approach has worked for Cawthron Institute, and the industries our research has underpinned, for over 90 years.
* An Appetite for Wonder – Cawthron Institute 1921-2011 by Deirdre Mackay