Cawthron scientists are leaders both in their research on aquaculture in the coastal environment, and in their understanding of aquaculture's effects on the environment.
Our recent reviews of the effects of finfish and bivalve aquaculture in New Zealand have helped to direct local and central government coastal marine policy.
We work closely with marine farmers, iwi groups, local and central government departments, and other end-users to provide research-based understanding of the effects of aquaculture on the coastal environment.
Cawthron's capabilities in this area include:
- assessment of ecological and environmental effects (AEE)
- Consent monitoring
- modelling and mitigation of potential effects
- adaptive management planning
- benthic mapping
- depositional modelling
- water column monitoring and modelling
- effects on marine mammals.
For more information, contact David Taylor.