Marine benthic surveys provide information for environmental impact assessments, assessments of likely environmental effects, habitat mapping, identification of conservation sites, monitoring consent conditions, pre- and post-dredging surveys, and coastal developments.
Cawthron scientists have the capabilities and expertise to plan and design benthic surveys, and to carry out the sampling, process the samples, identify the species and provide statistical analysis of the findings. Results are then presented in high quality scientific reports tailored to the client's requirements.
Cawthron's capabilities in this area include:
- Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)
- Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE)
- Subtidal habitat mapping
- Underwater video surveys
- Underwater photography
- Sediment core collection
- Biota collection (infauna and epifauna)
- Fisheries abundance data (e.g. scallops)
- Deployment of scientific equipment (e.g. Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler/ADCP)
- Artificial substratum experiments
- Macro-algal surveys
- Species abundance data collection (e.g. ecologically sensitive species)
- Infauna and epifauna taxonomy
For more information, contact David Taylor.