- MPhil (Biological Science, Ecology). University of Waikato, 2016
- MSc. (Ecology). Federal Rural University of Pernambuco, 2013
- BSc. (Biological Science). Federal Rural University of Pernambuco, 2010
Role at Cawthron
Hugo is an invertebrate taxonomist in the Coastal and Freshwater Group. His research interests are focused on the morphological and molecular taxonomy of aquatic organisms, mainly marine invertebrates. He is involved with the identification of marine, estuarine and freshwater invertebrates from various research and biomonitoring projects which assess the health of aquatic environments.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Benthic macroinvertebrates taxonomy and ecology
- Phylogeny and molecular tools applied to taxonomy
- Phylogeny of Polychaeta
- Biodiversity of marine and freshwater invertebrates
- Environmental impact of aquatic environments
- Lake and River Ecology
- Wood SA, Borges H, Puddick J, Biessy L, Atalah J, Hawes I, Dietrich DR and Hamilton DP 2016. Contrasting cyanobacterial communities and microcystin concentrations in summers with extreme weather events: Insights into potential effects of climate change. Hydrobiologia. Volume 785. Pages 71-89.
- Borges H, Wood SA, Puddick J, Blaney E, Hawes I, Dietrich DR and Hamilton DP 2016. Intracellular, environmental and biotic interactions influence recruitment of benthic Microcystis (Cyanophyceae) in a shallow eutrophic lake. Journal of Plankton Research. Volume 38, Issue 5. Pages 1289–1301.
- Lacerda NC, Santana HS, Dias RM, Agostinho AA, Gomes LC, Borges H, Melo VF and Severi W 2016. Distribution of benthic macroinvertebrates in a tropical reservoir cascade.. Hydrobiologia. Volume 765, Issue 1. Pages 265-275.
- Borges H, Branco LHZ, Martins MD, Lima CS, Barbosa PT, Bittencourt-Oliveira MC, Lira GAST and Molica RJR 2015. Cyanotoxin production and phylogeny of benthic cyanobacterial strains isolated from the northeast of Brazil. Harmful Algae. Volume 43. Pages 46-57.