- BA (Marine Biology). University of California, 1988
Role at Cawthron
Paul is an environmental scientist with 25 years of professional environmental consulting experience in both the United States and New Zealand.
A senior marine scientist in Cawthron's Coastal and Freshwater Group, Paul has extensive experience with a wide variety of oceanographic and water quality instrumentation including the design, deployment and recovery of numerous types of Ocean Data Acquisition System (ODAS) moorings.
Recently, his focus has been on developing small yet robust coastal monitoring buoys for NZ near-shore coastal waters. This work has been in collaboration with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute and draws on his experience with finding cost-effective solutions using both off-the-shelf instrumentation and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) components.
Paul has a range of programming skills for both software and embedded systems including VBA, VB.Net, PIC Basic, and CRBasic.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Environmental impact assessment and monitoring
- Water and sediment quality impact evaluations
- Permit and wastewater discharge evaluations
- Field operations, equipment and sampling
- Benthic community analysis
- Geographic information system (GIS) and database design and programming
- New Zealand Marine Sciences Society
- Water New Zealand
- Jiang W, Knight BR, Cornelisen CD, Barter PJ and Kudela R 2017. Simplifying Regional Tuning of MODIS Chlorophyll-a Algorithms for Monitoring Coastal Waters. Frontiers in Marine Science. Volume 4. Page 151.
- Johnston O, Barter PJ , Ellis J and Elvines D 2014. Recommendations for an offshore Taranaki environmental monitoring protocol: Drilling and production related discharges (OTEMP). Cawthron Report 2124. 53 pages plus appendices.
- Olsen DA, Hayes JW, Booker DJ and Barter PJ 2014. A model incorporating disturbance and recovery processes in benthic invertebrate habitat-flow time series. River Research and Applications 30(4): 413-426.
- Clark D, Barter PJ , Clement D, Tremblay LA and Forrest RW 2013. Whareroa marine outfall ecological investigation 2012. Cawthron Report 2348. 83 pages plus appendices.
- Kelly D and Barter PJ 2013. Tekapo Canal intervention monitoring 2013. Cawthron Report 2303. Prepared for Genesis Energy Limited. 27 pages plus appendix.
- Ellis J, Barter PJ and Cornelisen CD 2012. Coastal monitoring using moored platforms: Regional to national considerations. Cawthron Report 2199. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Council. 30 pages.
- Cornelisen CD, Gillespie PA, Kirs M, Young RG, Forrest RW, Barter PJ , Knight BR and Harwood VJ 2011. Motueka River plume facilitates transport of ruminant faecal contaminants into shellfish growing waters, Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 45(3): 477-495.
- Barter PJ , Beamsley B, Goring D, Johnson D, Knight BR, McComb P and Zyngfogel R 2010. East Clive wastewater outfall - Hydrodynamic modelling. Prepared for Hastings District Council, 107 pages.
- Dunmore R and Barter PJ 2008. Benthic survey of Bluff Harbour dredge spoil disposal. Cawthron Report 1432. 25 pages.
- Clement D and Barter PJ 2008. Monaco Peninsula to Bells Island wastewater pipeline - assessment of environmental effects. Prepared for Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit. In prep.
- Barter PJ , Sneddon R, Clarke K and Dunmore R 2007. Shakespeare Bay stormwater consent monitoring: 2007. Cawthron Report 1327. Prepared for Port Marlborough New Zealand Ltd. 17 pages plus appendices.
- Sneddon R, Dunmore R and Barter PJ 2007. Assessment of effects on benthic ecology from options for the expansion of Waikawa marina. Cawthron Report 1329. Prepared for Sounds Property Holdings Ltd. 55 pages plus appendices.
- Dunmore R and Barter PJ 2007. Assessment of chromated copper arsenate (CCA) leachate from treated wood in an estuarine environment. Cawthron Report 1394. Prepared for Network Tasman. 16 pages.
- Barter PJ 2003. Investigation of pond velocities using dye and small drogues: a case study of the Nelson City waste stabilisation pond. Water Science and Technology 48(2): 145-151.
- Barter PJ and Toni Deas 2003. Comparison of portable nephelometric turbidimeters on natural waters and effluents. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 37(3): 485-492.
- Barter PJ 2003. Oceanographic investigations for a proposed outfall for the Fonterra Limited Milk Factory: Clandeboye. Cawthron Report 815. Prepared for International Food and Beverage Services IFBS Ltd.
- Barter PJ , Robertson B and Thompson S 2003. Ecological investigations for a proposed ocean outfall for the Fonterra Ltd milk factory at Clandeboye. Cawthron Report 816. Prepared for International Food and Beverage Services Ltd.
- Barter PJ and Forrest BM 2002. Monitoring receiving environment effects. Monitoring receiving environment effects. In: New Zealand Municipal Wastewater Monitoring Guidelines, Chapter 11, DE Ray (Ed). New Zealand Water Environment Research Federation, Wellington.
- Barter PJ , Robertson B and Forrest BM 2002. Characterisation of receiving environments. Characterisation of receiving environments. In: New Zealand Municipal Wastewater Monitoring Guidelines, Chapter 6, DE Ray (Ed). New Zealand Water Environment Research Federation, Wellington.
- Prince RC, Clark JR, Lindstrom JE, Butler EL, Brown EJ, Winter G, Grossman MJ, Parrish PR, Bare RE, Braddock JF, Steinhauer WG, Douglas GS, Kennedy JM and Barter PJ 1994. Bioremediation of the Exxon Valdez oil spill: Monitoring safety and efficacy. In: Hydrocarbon Bioremediation, Hinchee R.E, Alleman BC, Hoeppel RE, and Miller RN, eds. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL. Pages 107-124.