- PhD (Biological Sciences). University of Waikato, 2012
- MSc (Hons) (Ecology and Evolution). Victoria University of Wellington, 2005
- BSc (Ecology and Evolution). Victoria University of Wellington, 2002
Role at Cawthron
Kirsty is a molecular ecologist and has worked in various roles at Cawthron since 2005, including as a technician for freshwater microalgae and researching seafood safety and biosecurity.
In 2012/13 she was awarded a post-doctoral fellowship from the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science, and worked at the Shimoda Marine Research Center at the University of Tsukuba, Japan. Kirsty then returned to New Zealand and the Cawthron Institute, where she now leads the molecular component of the Safe New Zealand Seafood Programme, funded by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. She also works on projects under the NIWA-funded Coasts and Oceans Research Programme (Marine Biosecurity, core funding).
In 2014 Kirsty was awarded a sought-after Marsden Fund Fast-Start Award grant to lead a new research projecting investigating species' adaptation to climate change.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Population genetics
- DNA barcoding
- Next-generation sequencing
- Small genome assembly
- Toxic marine dinoflagellates
- Species identification
Professional affiliations and achievements
- Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- New Zealand Postgraduate Study Abroad Award, Education New Zealand
- Dr FG Maskell Prize in Zoology, Victoria University of Wellington
- Marsden Fund Fast Start Award recipient, 2014
- Hawes NA, Tremblay LA, Pochon X, Dunphy B, Fidler AE and Smith KF 2018. Effects of temperature and salinity stress on DNA methylation in a highly invasive marine invertebrate, the colonial ascidian Didemnum vexillum . PeerJ 6:e5003.
- Hawes NA, Fidler AE, Tremblay LA, Pochon X, Dunphy B and Smith KF 2018. Understanding the role of DNA methylation in successful biological invasions: a review. Biological Invasions, pp 1–16.
- Smith KF, Biessy L, Argyle P, Trnski T, Halafihi T and Rhodes L 2017. Molecular identification of Gambierdiscus and Fukuyoa (Dinophyceae) from environmental samples. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 8. Pages 243-255.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Murray JS, Harwood DT, Trnski T and Munday R 2017. The epiphytic genus Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) in the Kermadec Islands and Zealandia regions of the Southwestern Pacific and the associated risk of Ciguatera Fish Poisoning. Marine Drugs. Volume 15, Issue 7. Page 219.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Curley BG, Harwood DT, Murray JS and Kohli GS, Solomona D, Rongo T, Munday R, Murray SA 2017. A new species of Gambierdiscus (Dinophyceae) from the south-west Pacific: Gambierdiscus honu sp. nov. . Harmful Algae. Volume 65. Pages 61-70.
- McLeod C, Dowsett N, Hallegraeff G, Harwood DT, Hay B, Ibbott S, Malhi N, Murray S, Smith KF and Tan J, Turnbull A 2017. Accumulation and depuration of paralytic shellfish toxins by Australian abalone Haliotis rubra: Conclusive association with Gymnodinium catenatum dinoflagellate blooms. Food Control. Volume 73, Part B. Pages 971-980.
- Smith KF, Kohli GS, Murray SA and Rhodes L 2017. Assessment of the metabarcoding approach for community analysis of benthic-epiphytic dinoflagellates using mock communities. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. Volume 51, Issue 4. Pages 555-576.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Harwood DT, Murray JS and Biessy L 2017. Is Gambierdiscus expanding its geographic range in the Pacific region. Harmful Algae News. Issue 56. Pages 1-4.
- Kohli GS, Campbell K, Uwe J, Smith KF, Fraga S, Rhodes L and Murray SA 2017. Role of modular polyketide synthases in the production of polyether ladder compounds in ciguatoxin-producing Gambierdiscus polynesiensis and G. excentricus (Dinophyceae). Eukaryotic Microbiology, published online.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Verma A, Murray JS, Harwood DT and Trnski T 2017. The dinoflagellate genera Gambierdiscus and Ostreopsis from subtropical Raoul Island and North Meyer Island, Kermadec Islands. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. Pages 1-15. Published online.
- Smith KF, Saito Y, Abbott CL and Fidler AE 2015. Comparison of whole mitochondrial genome sequences from two clades of the invasive ascidian, Didemnum vexillum. Marine Genomics 19. Pages 75 – 83. Epub December 4th 2014 doi: 10.1016/j.margen.2014.11.007.
- Smith KF, de Salas M, Adamson J and Rhodes L 2014. Rapid and accurate identification by real-time PCR of biotoxin-producing dinoflagellates from the family gymnodiniaceae. Marine Drugs 12(3): 1361-1376.
- Kaspar H, Keys EF, King N, Smith KF, Kesarcodi-Watson A and Miller MR 2014. Continuous production of Chaetoceros calcitrans in a system suitable for commercial hatcheries. Aquaculture Volume 420. Pages 1- 9. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2013.10.021.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Papiol GG, Adamson J, Harwood DT and Munday R 2014. Epiphytic dinoflagellates in sub-tropical New Zealand, in particular the genus Coolia Meunier. Harmful Algae 34: 36-41.
- Beuzenberg V, Smith KF and Packer MA 2014. Isolation and characterisation of halo-tolerant Dunaliella strains from Lake Grassmere/Kapara Te Hau, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Botany 52(1), 136-152.
- Selwood AI, Wilkins AL, Munday R, Gu H, Smith KF, Rhodes L and Rise F 2014. Pinnatoxin H: a new pinnatoxin analogue from a South China Sea Vulcanodinium rugosum isolate . Tetrahedron Letters 10/2014; 55(40):5508–5510.
- Pochon X, Bott NJ, Smith KF and Wood SA 2013. Evaluating detection limits of next-generation sequencing for the surveillance and monitoring of international marine pests. PLoS ONE 8(9): e73935.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF and Catherine Moisan 2013. Shifts and stasis in marine HAB monitoring in New Zealand. Environmental Science and Pollution Research V 20 (10) 6872-6877.
- Rhodes L, Jiang W, Knight BR, Adamson J, Smith KF, Langi V and Edgar M 2013. The genus Pseudo-nitzschia (Bacillariophyceae) in New Zealand: analysis of the last decade's monitoring data. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 47 (4): 490-503.
- Wood SA, Smith KF, Banks JC, Tremblay LA, Rhodes L, Mountfort D, Cary CS and Pochon X 2013. Molecular genetic tools for environmental monitoring of New Zealand's aquatic habitats - past, present and the future. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 47(1): 90-119.
- Mountfort D, Smith KF, Kirs M, Kuhajek JM, Adamson JE and Wood SA 2012. Development of single and multispecies detection methods for surveillance and monitoring of marine pests in New Zealand. Aquatic Invasions 7(1): 125-128. .
- Smith KF, Thia J, Gemmill CEC, Cary SC and Fidler AE 2012. Barcoding of the cytochrome oxidase I (COI) indicates a recent introduction of Ciona savignyi into New Zealand and provides a rapid method for Ciona species discrimination. Aquatic Invasions 7, 305 – 313.
- Smith KF, Stefaniak L, Saito Y, Gemmill CEC, Cary SC and Fidler AE 2012. Increased inter-colony fusion rates are associated with reduced COI haplotype diversity in an invasive colonial ascidian Didemnum vexillum. PLoS ONE 7(1): e30473.
- Zeng N, Gu H, Smith KF, Rhodes L, Selwood AI and Yang W 2012. The first report of Vulcanodinium rugosum (Dinophyceae) from the South China Sea with a focus on the life cycle. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 46:4, 511-521.
- Smith KF, Wood SA, Mountfort DO and Cary SC 2012. Development of a real-time PCR assay for the detection of the invasive clam, Corbula amurensis, in environmental samples. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 412: 52–57. DOI:10.1016/j.jembe.2011.10.02.
- Smith KF, Rhodes L and others 2011. A dinoflagellate producer of pinnatoxin G, isolated from sub-tropical Japanese waters. Harmful Algae 10(6): 702-705.
- MacKenzie LA, Smith KF, Rhodes L, Brown A, Langi V, Lovell G and Preece M 2011. Mortalities of sea-cage salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) due to a bloom of Pseudochattonella verruculosa (Dictyophyceae) in Queen Charlotte Sound, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 11: 45-53.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, Molenaar S, Munday R, Wilkinson C and Hallegraeff G 2011. Production of pinnatoxins E, F and G by scrippsielloid dinoflagellates isolated from Franklin Harbour, South Australia. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45(4): 703-709.
- Smith KF, Rhodes L, Adamson JE, Tyrrell JV, Mountfort DO and Jones WJ 2011. Application of a sandwich hybridisation assay for rapid detection of the Northern Pacific seastar, Asterias amurensis. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 45: 145-152.
- Smith KF, Cahill P and Fidler AE 2010. First record of the solitary ascidian Ciona savignyi Herdman, 1882 in the Southern Hemisphere. Aquatic Invasions 5: 363 – 368.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland P and Munday R 2010. Production of the cyclic imine, pinnatoxin, by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9: 384-389.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Munday R, Selwood AI, McNabb P, Holland PT and Bottein M 2010. Toxic dinoflagellates (Dinophyceae) from Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Toxicon 56(5): 751-758.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT and Munday R 2010. Production of pinnatoxins by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9(4): 384-389.
- Smith KF, Acosta H, Broom JE and Rhodes L 2010. Identification of non-indigenous marine macroalgae from New Zealand aquaria outlets. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 44: 29-37.
- Wood SA, Prentice MJ, Smith KF and Hamilton DP 2010. Low dissolved inorganic nitrogen and increased heterocyte frequency: precursors to Anabaena planktonica blooms in a temperate, eutrophic reservoir. Journal of Plankton Research 32: 1315-1325.
- Wood SA, Rhodes L, Adams SL, Adamson JE, Smith KF, Smith JF, Tervit HR and Cary SC 2008. Maintenance of cyanotoxin production by cryopreserved cyanobacteria in the New Zealand culture collection. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 42: 277–283.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF and de Salas M 2007. DNA probes, targeting large sub-unit rRNA, for the rapid identification of the paralytic shellfish poison producing dinoflagellate, Gymnodinium catenatum. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 41: 385-390.
- Selwood AI, Holland PT, Wood SA, Smith KF and McNabb P 2007. Production of anatoxin-a and a novel biosynthetic precursor by the cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon issatschenkoi. Environmental Science & Technology. 2007, 41, 506-510.
- Smith KF and Lester PJ 2006. Cyanobacterial blooms appear to be driven by top-down rather than bottom-up effects in the Lower Karori Reservoir (Wellington, New Zealand). New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 40(1): 53-63.