Senior Scientist – Microbial Source Tracking and Freshwater Ecology
Role at Cawthron
Jonathan is a senior freshwater scientist whose area of expertise and research interests include: tracing the source of faecal contamination of marine and freshwaters by genetically identifying host-specific bacteria, characterising aquatic invertebrate communities and using genetics to measure water quality.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Associate editor of the New Zealand Journal of Zoology
- Systematics and taxonomy of birds and invertebrates
- Evolutionary relationships between hosts and their parasites
- Detection of the presence of fish in lakes and streams from DNA shed into the water.
- PhD (Evolutionary Biology). Lincoln University, 2004
- MAppSc (First Class Honours, Behavioural Ecology). Lincoln University, 1998
- BPharm. University of Otago, 1988