Senior Marine Scientist
Role at Cawthron
Oli is a marine ecologist with a particular interest in marine biosecurity, biofouling management and urban ecology. Over the past 20 years, Oli has worked on science, R&D and advisory projects for a wide range of New Zealand and international funding agencies and clients, including government organisations, maritime industries (shipping, ports and marinas, aquaculture), conservation groups and law firms.
Oli is the co-Science Leader of the Marine Biosecurity Toolbox, an interdisciplinary international research programme aimed at developing cost-effective, innovative tools for mitigating marine biosecurity risks.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Biofouling management in maritime industries
- Biosecurity pathways – risk modelling and management
- Ecological engineering
- Baseline, delimitation and monitoring surveys
- Incursion response and pest management
- Urban ecology and anthropogenic impacts
- Member: IMarEST Biofouling Management Expert Group
- Senior Science Advisor: SINTEF Ocean, Trondheim, Norway
- PhD (Environmental Science). James Cook University, Australia, 2002
- BSc (Marine Biology, Hons). University of Wales, Bangor, 1998