Senior Marine Scientist
Role at Cawthron
Oli is a marine ecologist with a particular interest in marine biosecurity, biofouling management and urban ecology. Over the past 20 years, Oli has worked on science, R&D and advisory projects for a wide range of New Zealand and international funding agencies and clients, including government organisations, maritime industries (shipping, ports and marinas, aquaculture), conservation groups and law firms.
Oli is the Science Co-Leader of the Marine Biosecurity Toolbox, an interdisciplinary international research programme aimed at developing cost-effective, innovative tools for mitigating marine biosecurity risks.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Biofouling management in maritime industries
- Biosecurity pathways – risk modelling and management
- Ecological engineering
- Baseline, delimitation and monitoring surveys
- Incursion response and pest management
- Urban ecology and anthropogenic impacts
- Member: IMarEST Biofouling Management Expert Group
- Senior Science Advisor: SINTEF Ocean, Trondheim, Norway
- PhD (Environmental Science). James Cook University, Australia, 2002
- BSc (Marine Biology, Hons). University of Wales, Bangor, 1998