- PhD (Ecology). Canterbury University, 2000
- Ngāti Awa (Ngāti Pukeko)
- Te Arawa (Ngāti Whakahemo)
Role at Cawthron
Shaun provides a liaison service between Māori organisations and Cawthron staff. His position was established in 2008 and is based on an understanding of how scientific expertise can best be used to support Māori economic and cultural aspirations.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Research born from, for, with, and by Māori communities
- Environmental fate of vertebrate pesticides
- Ecology of aquaculture systems
- Protection and rehabilitation of culturally important wildlife species
- Member of New Zealand's Environmental Risk Management Authority (ERMA)
- Member of the New Zealand Ecological Society
- Member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors
Conferences and presentations
Ogilvie SC, Bowen LH, Eason CT 1995. The effect of the plant Myriophyllum triphyllum and temperature on the degradation of sodium monofluoroacetate (1080) in an aquatic ecosystem. Proc. 48th Plant Protection Conference. 1995: 260-263.
- Eason CT, Shapiro L, Ogilvie SC and Clout M 2015. Trends in Vertebrate Pesticide Use and the Importance of a Research Pipeline for Mammalian Pest Control in New Zealand. Prepared for Envirolink, MBIE on behalf of Northland Regional Council. 49 pages.
- Blackie HM, MacKay WB, Allan WJ, Smith DHV, Barrett B, Whyte BI, Murphy EC, Ross J, Shapiro L, Ogilvie SC, Sam S, MacMorran D, Inder S and Eason CT 2014. Innovative developments for long-term mammalian pest control. Pest Management Science. Volume 70, Issue 3. Pages 345 - 351. DOI 10.1002/ps.3627.
- Allen W, Ogilvie SC, Blackie H, Smith D, Sam S, Doherty J, McKenzie D, Ataria J, Shapiro L, MacKay J, Murphy E, Jacobson C and Eason CT 2014. Bridging disciplines, knowledge systems and cultures in pest management. Environmental Managament. Volume: 53, Issue 2. Pages 429-440. February 2014. DOI 10.1007/s00267-013-0180-z. Published online 13 October 2013.
- McNabb P, Taylor DI, Ogilvie SC, Wilkinson L, Anderson A, Hamon D and others 2014. First detection of tetrodotoxin in the bivalve Paphies australis by liquid chromatography coupled to triple quadrupole mass spectrometry with and without precolumn reaction. Journal of Aoac International 97(2), 325-333.
- Ogilvie SC, Miller A and Ataria J 2014. There's a rumble in the jungle: 1080 – poisoning our forests or a necessary tool . Chapter in Kaitiaki: Maori and the environment (R Selby, P Moore and M Mulholland Eds), Huia Publishers, Auckland. In press.
- Ogilvie SC, Miller A, Ataria J, Waiwai J and Doherty J 2014. Uptake of 1080 (Sodium fluoroacetate) by watercress and puha – culturally-important food plants.
- Crowell MD, Broome KG, Eason CT, Fairweather AAC, Ogilvie SC and Murphy EC 2013. How long do vertebrate pesticides persist in living mammals? Priorities for research. DOC Research and Development Series 337. Department of Conservation, Wellington. 18 pages.
- Eason CT, Fairweather A, Ogilvie SC, Blackie H and Miller A 2013. A review of recent non-target toxicity testing vertebrate pesticides: establishing generic guidelines. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 40(3), 226-235.
- Ogilvie SC, Mussely H, Chambers B, Batstone CJ, Paine R, Paine G, Connor G and Connor S 2012. Commercial feasibility of using Matauranga Maori-based fish traps to eliminate bycatch - Phase 2. Prepared for Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga. Cawthron Report 2191. 56 pages.
- Hix S, Aylett P, Shapiro L, MacMorran D, Eason CT, Sam S, Ross J, Miller A and Ogilvie SC 2012. Low dose cholecalciferol bait for possum and rodent control. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 55(3): 207-215.
- Eason CT, Miller A, Ogilvie SC and Fairweather A 2011. An updated review of the toxicology and ecotoxicology of 1080 in relation to its use as a pest control tool in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 35 (1): 1-20.
- Ogilvie SC, Mussely H, Batstone CJ, Paine R, Paine G, Connor G and Connor S 2010. Commercial feasibility of using Matauranga Maori based fish traps to eliminate bycatch. Cawthron Report No. 1773. Prepared for Nga Pae o te Maramatanga. 32 pages plus appendices.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J, Waiwai J, Doherty J, Miller A, Ross J and Eason CT 2010. Vertebrate pesticide risk assessment by indigenous communities in New Zealand. Integrative Zoology. 1. 37-43.
- Eason CT, Henderson R, Hix S, MacMorran D, Miller A, Ross J and Ogilvie SC 2010. Alternatives to Brodifacoum for possum and rodent control - how and why. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 37: 175-183.
- Eason CT and Ogilvie SC 2009. A re-evaluation of potential rodenticides for aerial control of rodents. DOC Research & Development Series 312. 34 pages.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J and Waiwai J 2007. Accessing scientific information on 1080. Te Putara 10, 4.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J, Waiwai J, Doherty JE, Lambert M and King D 2006. Uptake and persistence of the vertebrate pesticide sodium monofluoroacetate (Compound 1080) in plants of cultural importance. Ecotoxicology 15 (1). 1-7.
- Ogilvie SC, Fox SP, Ross AH, James MR and Schiel DR 2004. Growth of cultured mussels (Perna canaliculus) at a deep water chlorophyll maximum layer.. Aquaculture Research 35, 1253-1260.
- Ogilvie SC, Ross AH, James MR and Schiel DR 2003. In situ enclosure experiments on the influence of cultured mussels (Perna canaliculus) on phytoplankton at times of high and low ambient nitrogen. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 295, 23-39.
- Ogilvie SC, Ross AH and Schiel DR 2000. Phytoplankton biomass associated with mussel farms in Beatrix Bay, New Zealand. Aquaculture 181(1): 71-80.
- Ogilvie SC, Pierce R, Wright GRG, Booth LH and Eason CT 1997. Brodifacoum residue analysis in water, soil, invertebrates and birds after rat eradication on Lady Alice Island. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 21(2): 195-197.
- Ogilvie SC, Hetzel F and Eason CT 1996. The effect of temperature on the biodegradation of sodium monofluroacetate (1080) in water and in Elodea canadensis. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 56: 942-947.
- Ogilvie SC and Mitchell SF 1995. A model of mussel filtration in a shallow New Zealand Lake, with reference to eutrophication control. Archiv für Hydrobiology, 133(4): 471-482.