Team Leader – Bioactives
Andy leads Cawthron’s Bioactives team, a division of Cawthron that is world-renowned for the production of natural compounds from algal cultures.
Andy is an expert in marine and freshwater algal toxins, his work is published in over 60 scientific papers (H-Index 28) and through international conferences. Highlights from this work include the invention of novel detection methods and the discovery of several new compounds. Andy’s skills in chemical analysis and purification of rare and novel natural compounds from complex matrices are extensive.
- Experienced user of chromatographic instrumentation and mass spectrometers
- Micro-scale chemical reactions/Semi-synthesis
- Extraction, purification and structural elucidation of natural products
- Identification bioactive compounds through bioactivity guided fractionation
- Development of pilot scale manufacturing processes
- Production analytical standards
- Development and validation of analytical chemistry methods
- Technology transfer to end users
- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. University of Waikato, 2012
- National Diploma in Science. Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, 2001