Section Head Cawthron Natural Compounds
Andy is section head for Cawthron Natural Compound services (CNC), a division of Cawthron that is world renowned for the production of natural compounds from algal culture.
Andy is an expert in marine and freshwater toxins, his work is published in scientific papers and through international conferences. Highlights from this work include the invention of novel detection methods and the discovery of several new compounds. Andy’s skills in chemical analysis and purification of rare and novel natural compounds from complex food matrices are extensive.
- Experienced user of chromatographic instrumentation mass spectrometers
- Mico-scale chemical reaction
- Extraction, purification and structural elucidation of natural products
- Trouble shooting and maintenance of various instruments – including liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS) and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Development and validation of analytical chemistry methods
- Training of technical staff, MSc and PhD students in natural products chemistry and use of instrumentation
- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. University of Waikato
- National Diploma in Science. Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, 2001