Marine Ecologist – Biosecurity and Invasive Species
Role at Cawthron
Javier is a marine ecologist within the biosecurity team of the Coastal and Freshwater Group. He is involved in a range of coastal management projects, with a recent focus on invasive species.
Javier also contributes to other Cawthron projects on the effects of anthropogenic activities on coastal ecosystems.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Development of marine pest biocontrol tools
- Assessment of human impacts on coastal ecosystems
- Ecology of coastal ecosystems
- Measurement of biodiversity and water quality
- Invasion of non-indigenous species on these ecosystems.
- PhD (Marine Ecology). University College Dublin, Ireland, 2009
- MSc (Marine Science). University of Auckland, 2006
- BSc (Hons, Marine Biology). University of Valparaíso, Chile, 2002