Roel van Ginkel
Technical Consultant – Analytical Chemistry
Role at Cawthron
Roel works in the analytical services research and development team. He came to Cawthron with an extensive knowledge of chemical synthesis gained in the European petroleum industry. He has added a wide experience in analysis while working at Cawthron and now he is just as comfortable developing an enzyme assay as he is a protocol for synthesising a new compound.
Roel is familiar with techniques such as liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS), gas chromatography (GC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and many other spectroscopy techniques.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Implementation of pre-column paralytic shellfish poison (PSP) method adapted to reduce run times for ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC)
- Semi-synthesis of brevetoxin metabolites
- Marine biotoxins
- Organic chemistry of natural products, detergents and fine chemicals
- Catalysis and synthesis
- Instrumental analysis
- Assessment of structure-activity relation
- Transfer of processes from laboratory to pilot plant
- Method development and implementation
- MSC (Organic Chemistry). University of Amsterdam