- PhD candidate, University of Waikato (to be submitted early 2021)
- MSc (Distinction, Marine Science). University of Otago, 2009
- BSc (Zoology). University of Otago, 2007
Role at Cawthron
Dana is a marine ecologist within the Coastal Ecosystems Team at Cawthron. Her research aims to understand the drivers of change in coastal ecosystems to enable better management and thus protect the commercial, social and environmental services these ecosystems provide.
She uses statistical, molecular and GIS methods to develop applied tools for coastal management. Recent work includes the development of a multivariate model for estuary health assessment; eDNA-based biomonitoring tools; a cumulative impact index for Tauranga Harbour; and spatially explicit models to map ecosystem service provision.
Dana has roles within the Sustainable Seas National Science Challenge: Measuring Ecosystem Services (Phase 1), Tipping Points (Phase 1) and Communicating Risk and Uncertainty (Phase 2). As part of the Tipping Points project, she led the Top of the South component of New Zealand’s first national-scale marine experiment, which assessed the cumulative effects of multiple stressors in estuaries.
She was a key researcher in two cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary research programmes that collectively spanned 10 years (Manaaki Taha Moana and Oranga Taiao Oranga Tangata). Through partnerships with Manaaki Te Awanui and Taiao Raukawa these projects developed tools to empower tangata whenua in the co-management and restoration of coastal areas. Dana’s role was to provide the ecological expertise to underpin tool development, delivering western science that gave voice to the te ao Māori worldview.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Linkages between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
- Multiple stressor effects on soft-sediment and rocky reef communities
- Development of coastal health indicators
- Design and implementation of ecological monitoring programmes
- Marine and coastal ecosystem service valuation
- Environmental Impact Assessments
- Marine Spatial Planning
- Effects of aquaculture on benthic habitats
- New Zealand Marine Science Society (Secretary, 2015-2020)
- New Zealand Coastal Society
View Dana's ResearchGate profile
- Berthelsen A, Atalah J, Clark D, Goodwin E, Patterson M and Sinner J 2018. Relationships between biotic indices, multiple stressors and natural variability in New Zealand estuaries. Ecological Indicators. Volume 85. Pages 634-643.
- Ellis JI, Clark D, Atalah J, Jiang W, Taiapa C, Patterson M, Sinner J and Hewitt J 2017. Multiple stressor effects on marine infauna: responses of estuarine taxa and functional traits to sedimentation, nutrient and metal loading. Scientific Reports. Volume 7, Issue 1. Page 12013.
- Tremblay LA, Clark D, Sinner J and Ellis JI 2017. Integration of community structure data reveals observable effects below sediment guideline thresholds in a large estuary. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts.
- Smith AM, Clark D, Lamare MD, Winter DJ and Byrne M 2016. Risk and resilience: variations in magnesium in echinoid skeletal calcite. Marine Ecology Progress Series. Volume 561. Pages 1-16.
- Townsend M, Geange S, Lohrer A M, Clark D and Ellis J I 2016. Communicating the value of marine conservation using an ecosystem service matrix approach. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management. In review..
- Clark D, Goodwin E, Sinner J, Ellis J and Singh G 2016. Validation and limitations of a cumulative impact model for an estuary. Ocean & Coastal Management. Volume 120. Pages 88-98.
- Clark D and Newcombe E 2016. Port Nelson Long-Term Monitoring Programme: 2016 survey. Prepared for Port Nelson Ltd and Nelson City Council. 18 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D 2016. Nelson Fisheries Outfall seabed effects survey 2016. Prepared for Sealord Group Ltd. 28 pages plus appendices.
- Morrisey D, Clark D and Sneddon R 2016. Port Nelson Calwell Slipway remediation: assessment of ecological effects. Prepared for GHD Ltd. 49 pages, plus appendix.
- Ellis JI, Hewitt JE, Clark D, Taiapa C, Patterson M, Sinner J, Hardy D and Thrush SF 2015. Assessing ecological community health in coastal estuarine systems impacted by multiple stressors. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. Volume 473. Pages 176-187.
- Newcombe EM, Clark D, Gillespie PA, Morrisey DJ and MacKenzie LA 2015. Assessing the state of the marine environment in Tasman Bay and Golden Bay. Prepared for Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council. 70 pages plus appendix.
- Newcombe E and Clark D 2015. Shellfish health surveys 2014: AMA 3B in Tasman Bay. Prepared for Tasman Bay Ring Road Farming Limited and stakeholders in AMA 3. 4 pages.
- Newcombe EM, Poutama M, Allen C, Smith H, Clark D, Atalah J, Spinks A, Ellis J and Sinner J 2014. Kaimoana on beaches from Hokio to Otaki, Horowhenua. Prepared for Taiao Raukawa and Manaaki Taha Moana. 40 pages plus appendices.
- Newcombe EM, Smith H, Poutama M, Clark D, Spinks A, Ellis J and Sinner J 2014. Faecal contamination of shellfish on the Horowhenua coast. Prepared for Taiao Raukawa and Manaaki Taha Moana. 15 pages.
- Clark D 2014. Nelson Bays Ecosystems Map. Prepared for Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. 19 pages plus appendices.
- Townsend M, Clark D, Lohrer D, Ellis J, Lundquist C, Hewitt J and Thrush S 2014. An ecosystem services matrix for New Zealand's coastal marine environment. Prepared for the Department of Conservation..
- Ellis J, Clark D, Sinner J, Asher R, Gower FJ and others 2013. Ecological Survey of Tauranga Harbour. Cawthron Report 2321. Prepared for Manaaki Taha Moana, Manaaki Taha Moana Research Report 13. 56 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Barter PJ , Clement D, Tremblay LA and Forrest RW 2013. Whareroa marine outfall ecological investigation 2012. Cawthron Report 2348. 83 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Keeley N, Dunmore D and Forrest RW 2012. Reef environmental monitoring results for the Clay Point and Te Pangu Salmon Farms. Cawthron Report 2077. Prepared for New Zealand King Salmon Company Limited. 12 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (I) and (K) in Tasman Bay AMA 3: Summary Report - Addendum. Cawthron Report 2176A. Prepared for Tasman Mussels Limited and Tasman Bay Ring Road Farming Limited. 70 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D, Newcombe EM, Forrest RW, Keeley N, Goodwin E and Jiang W 2012. Stage one development of subzones (P) and (Q) in Golden Bay AMA 2: Summary Report. Prepared for Golden Bay Ring Road Farming Ltd. 73 pages plus appendices.
- Gillespie PA, Clement D, Clark D and Asher R 2012. Nelson haven fine-scale benthic baseline 2012. Cawthron Report 2209. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 22 pages plus appendices.
- Sinner J, Clark D, Ellis J, Roberts B, Jiang W, Goodwin E, Hale L, Rolleston S, Patterson M, Hardy D, Prouse E and Brown S 2011. Health of Te Awanui Tauranga harbour. Cawthron Report 1969. Manaaki Taha Moana Research Report 1. 129 pages.
- Dunmore R, Goodwin E and Clark D 2011. Physical and biological monitoring in Doubtful Sound 2010-2011. Cawthron Report 2009. Prepared for Meridian Energy. 55 pages plus appendices.
- Sneddon R and Clark D 2011. Nelson Fisheries outfall seabed effects survey 2011. Cawthron Report 2029. Prepared for Sealord Group Ltd. 19 pages plus appendices.
- Clark D 2011. Green Island wastewater discharge: Review of offshore monitoring results 2010-2011. Cawthron Report 2067. Prepared for Dunedin City Council. 12 pages plus appendices.
- Smith A and Clark D 2010. Skeletal carbonate mineralogy of bryozoans from Chile: an independent check of phylogenetic patterns. Palaios 25:229-233.
- Clark D, Lamare M and Barker M 2009. Response of sea urchin pluteus larvae (Echinodermata: Echionoidea) to reduced seawater pH: a comparison among a tropical, temperate, and a polar species. Marine Biology 156:1125-1137.
- Clark D 2009. Response of sea urchin pluteus larvae (Echinodermata: Echinoidea) to reduced seawater pH: a comparison among tropical, temperate and polar species. MSc Thesis. University of Otago.