PhD (Marine Biology), Université de Bretagne Occidentale (Brest), France/ Florida Gulf Coast University, USA, 2015
MSc (Aquatic Pathobiology), University of Stirling, Scotland, 2009
BSc (Marine Biology), Newcastle University, UK, 2007
Role at Cawthron
Anne is a Scientist with the Aquaculture group at Cawthron and is involved in a number of stress and health related projects across the ‘Shellfish Aquaculture’ and ‘Aquatic Health’ programmes. These programmes support the New Zeland Aquaculture industry.
Her work involves:
- Developing tools to measure shellfish and algal health
- Evaluation of biotic and abiotic stressors on bivalve reproduction and health- focussing on Bonamia, OsHV-1 and DEV
- Characterisation of shellfish hemolymph using flow cytometry and microscopy
- Routine monitoring of shellfish health at the Cawthron Aquaculture Park and shellfish mortality investigations.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Effects of biotic and abiotic stressors on shellfish reproduction and health; especially early life stages.
- Flow cytometry of shellfish gametes and blood and, commercial and harmful algal species.
- Histopathology of marine bivalves.
- Image analysis of marine bivalves.
- Biotoxin ELISAs.
- Live-feeds production.
- Vignier J, Rolton, A., Soudant, P., Chu, F.L.E, Robert, R. and Volety, A.K. 2019. Interactions between Crassostrea virginica larvae and Deepwater Horizon oil: Toxic effects via dietary exposure.
- Rolton, A., Webb SC and Lopez Sanmartin, M 2019. Digestive epithelial virosis (DEV) in bivalves: a review.
- Rolton, A. 2018. Risk assessment of wetland birds at the Cawthron Aquaculture Park. .
- Rolton, A., Vignier J, Volety, A., Shumway, S., Bricelj, V.M. and Soudant, P. 2018. Impacts of exposure to the toxic dinoflagellate Karenia brevis on reproduction of the northern quahog, Mercenaria mercenaria.
- Vignier J, Rolton, A., Soudant,P., Fu-Lin, E.C., Robert, R. and Volety, A.K. 2018. Evaluation of toxicity of Deepwater Horizon slick oil on spat of the oyster Crassostrea virginica.
- Vignier J, Voltey, A.K., Rolton, A., Le Goic, N., Chu, F.L., Robert, R. and Soudant, P. 2017. Sensitivity of eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) spermatozoa and oocytes to dispersed oil: Cellular responses and impacts on fertilization and embryogenesis. .
- Rolton, A., Vignier J, Voltey, A.K., Pierce, R.H., Henry, M., Shumway, S.E., Bricelj, V.M., Hegaret, H. and Soudant, P. 2016. Effects of field and laboratory exposure to the toxic dinoflagellate Karenia brevis on the reproduction of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, and subsequent development of offspring.
- Rolton, A., Soudant, P., Vignier J, Pierce, R., Henry, M., Shumway, S.E, Bricelj, V.M. and Volety, A.K. 2015. Susceptibility of gametes and embryos of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, to Karenia brevis and its toxins.
- Rolton, A., Vignier J, Soudant, P., Shumway, S.E., Bricelj, V.M. and Volety, A.K. 2014. Effects of the red tide dinoflagellate, Karenia brevis, on early development of the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica and northern quahog Mercenaria mercenaria.
- Treasurer, J., Atack, T., Rolton, A., Walton, J. and Bickerdike, R. 2011. Social, stocking density and dietary effects on the failure of farmed cod, Gadus morhua. .