- MSC (Organic Chemistry). University of Amsterdam
Role at Cawthron
Roel works in the analytical services research and development team. He came to Cawthron with an extensive knowledge of chemical synthesis gained in the European petroleum industry. He has added a wide experience in analysis while working at Cawthron and now he is just as comfortable developing an enzyme assay as he is a protocol for synthesising a new compound.
Roel is familiar with techniques such as liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS), gas chromatography (GC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and many other spectroscopy techniques.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Implementation of pre-column paralytic shellfish poison (PSP) method adapted to reduce run times for ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC)
- Semi-synthesis of brevetoxin metabolites
- Marine biotoxins
- Organic chemistry of natural products, detergents and fine chemicals
- Catalysis and synthesis
- Instrumental analysis
- Assessment of structure-activity relation
- Transfer of processes from laboratory to pilot plant
- Method development and implementation
Conferences and presentations
Holland P, McNabb P, Selwood A, Van Ginkel R. Multiresidue LC-MS Analysis of ASP and DSP Toxins in Shellfish. Proceedings of the XIth International IUPAC Symposium on Mycotoxins and Phycotoxins, May 17 - 21, 2004. Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Published in 2006.
Stapersma J, Deuling HH, van Ginkel R. Hydroxy alkane sulphonates (HAS), a new surfactant based on olefins. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, Vol 69, No 1, 39-43.
- Murray JS, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Puddick J, Rhodes L, Rise F and Wilkins A 2019. 44-Methylgambierone, a new gambierone analogue isolated from Gambierdiscus australes. Tetrahedron Letters.
- Hellyer SD, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Munday R, Sheard P, Miles CO, Rhodes L and Kerr SD 2014. In vitro labelling of muscle type nicotinic receptors using a fluorophore-conjugated pinnatoxin F derivative. Toxicon. Volume 87 doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2014.05.013.
- Harwood DT, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Waugh C, McNabb PS, Munday R, Hay B, Quilliam MA, Malhi N, Dowsett N and McLeod C 2014. Paralytic shellfish toxins, including deoxydecarbamoyl-STX, in wild-caught Tasmanian abalone (Haliotis rubra). Toxicon 90: 213-225.
- Clearwater SJ, Wood SA, Phillips NR, Parkyn SM, van Ginkel, R and Thompson KJ 2014. Toxicity thresholds for juvenile freshwater mussels Echyridella menziesii and crayfish Paranephrops planifrons, after acute or chronic exposure to Microcystis sp. Environmental Toxicology 29(5), 487-502.
- Harwood DT, Boundy M, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, MacKenzie LA and McNabb P 2013. Refinement and implementation of the Lawrence method (AOAC 2005.06) in a commercial laboratory: Assay performance during an Alexandrium catenella bloom event. Harmful Algae 24: 20-31.
- Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Harwood DT, McNabb PS, Rhodes L and Holland PT 2012. A sensitive assay for palytoxins, ovatoxins and ostreocins using LC-MS/MS analysis of cleavage fragments from micro-scale oxidation. Toxicon 60(5): Pages 810-820 .
- Dowsett N, Hallegraeff G, van Ruth P, van Ginkel, R, McNabb P, Hay B, O'Connor W, Kiermeier A, Deveney M and McLeod C 2011. Uptake, distribution and depuration of paralytic shellfish toxins from Alexandrium minutum in Australian greenlip abalone, Haliotis laevigata. Toxicon 58(1): 101-111.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland P and Munday R 2010. Production of the cyclic imine, pinnatoxin, by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9: 384-389.
- Bottein Dechraoui M-Y, Fuquay JM, Munday R, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Miles CO, Loader JI, Wilkins AL and Ramsdell JS 2010. Bioassay methods for detection of N-palmitoylbrevetoxin-B2 (BTX-B4) . Toxicon 55(2-3): 497-506.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT and Munday R 2010. Production of pinnatoxins by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9(4): 384-389.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT, MacKenzie LA, Rhodes L, Wood SA, Cornelisen CD, Heasman KG , Munday R and King C 2010. Detection of Tetrodotoxin from the grey sided-gilled sea slug - Pleurobranchaea maculata, and associated dog neurotoxicosis on beaches adjacent to the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand. Toxicon 56, 466-473.
- Selwood AI, Miles CO, Wilkins AL, van Ginkel, R, Munday R, Rise F and McNabb P 2010. Isolation, structural determination, and acute toxicity of novel pinnatoxins E, F and G. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58(10): 6532-6542.
- Carreira M, Charemsuk M, Eberhard M, Fey N, van Ginkel, R, Hamilton A, Mul WP, Orpen AG, Phetmung H and Pringle PG 2009. Atonomy of phobanes - Diastereoselective synthesis of the three isomers of n-butylphobane and a comparison of their donor properties. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131 (8), 3078-3092.
- Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Wilkins AL, Munday R, Ramsdell JS, Jensen DJ, Cooney JM and Miles CO 2008. Semisynthesis of S-desoxybrevetoxin-B2 and brevetoxin-B2, and assessment of their acute toxicities. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 2008, 21, 944-950.